My sculptural work is driven by spatial awareness and creative emphasis. Making sculpture for over 20 years, the abstract work has grown as experience with newer and more refined tools has allowed. The wood species has also improved, from construction based woods originally, to more rare hardwoods in more current pieces. The designs are seldom human or animal forms, but are more directed toward a smooth curved line with the use of negative space. The contemporary pieces use the warmth of natural wood, rarely stained or painted, using the actual color of the wood finish, contrasted at times with the live edge.
- 70th Annual Juried Open Show, North Coastal Art Gallery, Carlsbad, CA – 2022
- Parallel Views, Oceanside Museum of Art Artist Alliance, The Studio Door Gallery, San Diego, CA – 2022
- Juried Exhibit 2022, Front Porch Gallery, Carlsbad, CA – 2022
- Solidarity, Ashton Gallery, San Diego, CA – 2022
- 70th Annual Membership Show, North Coastal Art Gallery, Carlsbad, CA – 2022
- “Renewal”, Oceanside Museum of Art Artist Alliance, Front Porch Gallery, Carlsbad, CA – 2022
- Second Act, Front Porch Gallery, Carlsbad, CA – 2022
- Renewal and Rebirth, California Art Club, Pasadena, CA – 2021
- Wild and Beautiful, Botanical Gardens, San Diego, CA – 2021
- Juried Exhibit 2021, Front Porch Gallery, Carlsbad, CA – 2021
- Celebration of Sculpture, The Studio Door Gallery, San Diego, CA – 2021
- Annual Juried Open Show, North Coastal Art Gallery, Carlsbad, CA – 2021
- Emergence, Pacific Northwest Sculptors, Portland, OR – 2021
- 2021 Summer Exhibition, SD Museum of Art, Artists Guild, San Diego, CA – 2021
- Molten, Art Under Fire, Front Porch Gallery, Carlsbad, CA – 2021
- Stretched Imagination, Ashton Gallery, San Diego, CA – 2020
- 2020 Online International Winter Exhibition, SD Museum of Art, Artist Guild, San Diego, CA – 2020
- Dimensions Sculpture & Wall Art Exhibition, SD Museum of Art, Artist Guild, San Diego, CA – 2019
- Annual Art Classic, Santa Clarita Art Association, Santa Clarita, CA – 2019
- Inspired Beginnings, Ashton Gallery, San Diego, CA – 2019
Scott began wood sculpting in 1995 in Santa Clarita, California, working with found objects and castoff construction materials. His work has won multiple awards in local art exhibitions, and his sculptures are in private collections in San Francisco, Los Angeles, Ventura, Carlsbad, Scottsdale, St. Louis and Minneapolis.
Scott grew up in southern California but has lived for extended periods in Florida and Connecticut, and his work has been influenced by this bicoastal experience. A further inspiration was an extensive art tour of northern and southern Europe, undertaken with family just before enrolling at California Polytechnic University in San Luis Obispo. During studies for his liberal arts degree at Cal Poly, he studied photography and took other classes at the Art Center of Hollywood.
After a 25 year career Scott retired from his executive position at the Chubb Insurance Group to devote his full energy to art. He completed his transition to the art world by moving from Santa Clarita to North San Diego County in 2010, where he now works at a home studio in Carlsbad.
His work has been included in the Oceanside Museum of Art annual Charity Auction, and is a member of the Artists Alliance, attached to the museum. Scott is also a member of the San Diego Art Museum’s Artist Guild. He founded the North San Diego County Sculptors Salon, which he originated in 2013. Scott is also a long standing member of the International Sculpture Center.
He is also a member of the Art Group of North County. The artist’s work can be viewed exclusively in the Carlsbad Oceanside Art League Gallery, a part of the North Coastal Art Gallery, 300 Carlsbad Village Drive, Suite 101, Carlsbad.
His specialty continues to be free standing work, and he no longer does assemblage, as rare woods have taken the place of found objects. Currently he is using exotic varieties which include Cocobola, Padouk and African Mahogany.
Scott’s work has been influenced by Alexander Calder and Louise Nevelson, but he strives to perfect his own innovative signature style. To broaden his perspective Scott spent the summer of 2011 attending an intensive woodworking class at the Center for Furniture Craftsmanship in Rockport, Maine. In 2012 one of his designed works was adopted by the City of Santa Clarita, and was installed on one of their most popular bike paths.
- International Sculpture Center
- Clark Hulings Fund
- San Diego Museum of Art, Artist Guild
- Oceanside Museum of Art, Artist Alliance
- California Art Club, Associate Member
- Art Group of North County
- North County Sculptors Salon, Founding Member
- Carlsbad Oceanside Art League, Membership Director
- Santa Clarita Artists’ Association, Past President